The company has offices in Malta & UK, and the successful candidate will be based in our Malta office. The Financial Controller role will formally report to the Board of Directors of Weavr (Europe). Whilst working closely with the CFO and senior management, you will be responsible for overseeing the smooth and efficient running of the Finance department and ensuring the achievement of the company’s overall strategic direction and vision.
It will also be critical for you to successfully lead a small team to achieve departmental and business finance demands, along with ensuring compliance with related authorities and audit requirements.
The Financial Controller will lead all internal finance and accounting operations and will have the following responsibilities:
- Strategy & Planning: Budgets, Models, Analysis
- Manage all matters pertaining to the finances of the company and provide an effective and efficient financial management service to management
- Assist in the preparation of the strategic plan, including the annual budget and forecasts
- Reach the Company’s approved financial and commercial objectives
- Monitor Company’s actual financial performance against approved budgets, report and account on any variances, and recommend corrective action where necessary
- Advise management on the review of financial objectives, policies and systems and procedures
- Conduct financial analysis to identify opportunities for cost reduction and increased profits
Reporting & Review, including Statutory Requirements
- Prepare and present accurate and timely financial reports as directed by management
- Ensure that all taxation, audit and legislative requirements are complied with at all times
- Recommend and develop systems and procedures to strengthen financial control and operational efficiency
- Ensure integrity and security of accounting and other internal systems and accounts, including responsibility for any internal audit function
- Advise management on contractual conditions related to financial risks
External Relationships: Banks, Auditors, etc.,:
- As needed, develop and maintain relationships with company advisors, including auditors and bankers, financial consultants, underwriters and brokers and other financial services
Manage Finance Team:
- Recruiting, training and managing employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; resolving problems.
- Develop and promote a positive inclusive culture amongst all members of staff ensuring that they are motivated to work to the maximum of their capabilities.
Experience and Profile
The Financial Controller must have a background in the payments and / or financial services industry, and have proven experience in scaling a multi-site organisation and a demonstrated ability to both lead and build the capabilities of a driven, bright, diverse team.
Weavr is a startup. Early stage businesses like Weavr need resourceful, intelligent and high-energy people who are flexible at doing what needs to be done. In a small business, it’s essential for even senior execs to be hands-on, able to handle ambiguity and to operate with limited resources.
- Warranted Accountant having 7+ years experience working within a finance department
- A successful team leader able to adapt style to meet the needs of team members, customers and other stakeholders
- Strong financial and analytical skills, including the ability to rapidly interpret, explain and act on complex information
- Ability to balance business priorities and work under pressure whilst adhering to tight deadlines
- An experienced manager leading a finance function delivering high performance and continuous improvement, as well as excellent financial analysis
- The ability to train and coach other members within the finance department
Place of Work
Presently, our team is concentrated around London, Berlin and Malta but we expect to have presence in other capitals in Europe. We often work remotely, but have face to face meetings from time to time.
The Financial Controller for Weavr (Europe) must be based in Malta, but will be required to travel to other offices within the Group as and when required.
Your remuneration package will depend on your experience, but will include a base salary, performance bonus and stock options. Health insurance will also be provided.
Why Join Weavr
This role is an opportunity to join a successful serial founder team at the point where it has just raised funding from leading VCs associated with Fintech and the Digital Ecosystem: Anthemis, QED Investors and Seedcamp. We are now just starting on the next step of the journey: delivering product-market fit in one or two markets within Europe before we scale in these markets and extend to other markets and geographies.
By joining now, you will be at the start of an exciting journey that will be tough, but where you will have considerable influence and an opportunity for high rewards.
We are unashamedly geeky. We prefer smart to big. We don’t see borders and barriers, we see connections and bridges. We are dedicated to helping ‘makers’ or all size or stripe succeed. The community of makers that we’re empowering is big and diverse, so there’s a place for all types in our team – but it’s a team. What matters are our values: create value through simplification, be accessible and collaborative, and be open to change. That’s as true of our products as it is of how we work.
Commitment to diversity & inclusion
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, disability. We are a diverse and inclusive team and we actively seek to recruit people with different backgrounds and experiences.
Weavr is cloud-based technology stack and service platform that provides everything digital innovators need to design, build, integrate and run embedded finance solutions for their applications.
Digital businesses within services sectors like Education, Healthcare, Real Estate and Logistics, collectively generate annual transaction volumes of $2.1 trillion with a growth of 17% per annum. To compete, these businesses are increasingly embedding financial services within their products and services. Weavr provides such businesses with a simple way to do so, providing them with secure and compliant means to give their customers access to financial services offered and delivered in context.