The Head of Financial Control is a senior role reporting to the Group CFO and will be responsible for overseeing the smooth and efficient running of the financial activities and ensuring the achievement of the company’s overall strategic direction and vision. The successful candidate will be based in our Malta office and will formally report to the Board of Directors of Weavr (Europe) Ltd for the oversight of the regulated activities in the EEA. You will work alongside the Head of Financial Control for Weavr Limited in the UK. It will also be critical for you to successfully work cross functionally and lead a small team to achieve departmental and business finance demands, along with ensuring compliance with related authorities and audit requirements.
The Head of Financial Control will lead all internal finance and accounting operations and will have the following responsibilities:
Strategy & Planning: Budgets, Models, Analysis
- Manage all matters pertaining to the finances of the company and provide an effective and efficient financial management service to management;
- Assist in the preparation of the strategic plan, including the annual budget and forecasts;
- Reach the Company’s approved financial and commercial objectives;
- Monitor Company’s actual financial performance against approved budgets, report and account on any variances, and recommend corrective action where necessary;
- Advise management on the review of financial objectives, policies and systems and procedures;
- Conduct financial analysis to identify opportunities for cost reduction and increased profits;
- Co-develop financial proposals with commercial teams; due diligence financial projections, provide feedback to optimize risk-adjusted returns, fully understand and contribute to commercial proposal, align financial proposal to commercial proposal, and actively contribute to negotiation strategy
- Partner with executive decision makers to develop tools, process and discussions that achieve business and financial priorities through deals and deal portfolio management and card scheme economics
- Lead profitability projects that impact current and future business models and/or pricing structure, including actively collaborate with other internal stakeholders (e.g., legal, finance, product, contract management) to ensure process efficacy and execute on commercial and financial priorities
Reporting & Review, including Statutory Requirements
- Prepare and present accurate and timely financial reports as directed by management
- Ensure that all taxation, audit and legislative requirements are complied with at all times
- Recommend and develop systems and procedures to strengthen financial control and operational efficiency;
- Ensure integrity and security of accounting and other internal systems and accounts, including responsibility for any internal audit function;
- Advise management on contractual conditions related to financial risks;
External Relationships: Banks, Auditors, etc.,
- Develop and maintain relationships with company advisors, including auditors and bankers, financial consultants, underwriters and brokers and other financial services
Manage Finance Team
- Manage, partner and influence internal stakeholders and business partners to deliver on business priorities and financial goals
- Recruiting, training and managing employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; resolving problems.
- Develop and promote a positive inclusive culture amongst all members of staff ensuring that they are motivated to work to the maximum of their capabilities.
Experience and Profile
The Head of Financial Control must have a background in the payments and / or financial services industry, and have proven experience in scaling a multi-site organisation and a demonstrated ability to both lead and build the capabilities of a driven, bright, diverse team.
Weavr is a startup. Early stage businesses like Weavr need resourceful, intelligent and high-energy people who are flexible at doing what needs to be done. In a small business, it’s essential for even senior execs to be hands-on, able to handle ambiguity and to operate with limited resources.
Key requirements are:
- Warranted Accountant having 7+ years experience working within a finance department, including a background in the payments, card schemes and / or financial services industry.
- A successful team leader able to adapt style to meet the needs of team members, customers and other stakeholders.
- Strong financial and analytical skills, including the ability to rapidly interpret, explain and act on complex information.
- Ability to balance business priorities and work under pressure whilst adhering to tight deadlines.
- An experienced manager leading a finance function delivering high performance and continuous improvement, as well as excellent financial analysis.
- The ability to train and coach other members within the finance department.
Place of Work
Presently, our team is concentrated around Malta, London, Portugal and Berlin, but we expect to have presence in other capitals in Europe. We often work remotely, but have face to face meetings from time to time.
The Head of Financial Control for Weavr (Europe) Ltd must be based in Malta, and may need to travel to other offices within the Group as and when required.
Your remuneration package will depend on your experience, but will include a base salary, performance bonus and stock options. Health insurance will also be provided.